Tuesday, October 21, 2008

It's ALIVE! Or Not

Today we had a meeting with another campus to talk about a certain program that we are doing. We all had to go around the room and introduce ourselves along with our campuses. It felt like an AA meeting, from what I have seen on TV, since I have never been to one. I'm Josephine and I'm from Centum. I'm . . . and I'm from Centum. I'm . . . and I'm from Centum.

After the meeting was over, we had lunch together. It was seafood. All of the other times when I have eaten with a big group like that we had beef or pork so this was quite a treat. It was communal eating, which is the manner in Korea. There were three stations that had a boiling pot of bean sprouts, mussels, shrimp, oysters, and a large crab. Then, as we were sitting down, somebody came and put a live animal in the pot. In one of the pots, the critter crawled out before it was dead! Eventually it died and we were able to cut it up with scissors, which is how all meat is cut when it is cooked at the table like that. After I had a piece of a leg I asked if it was octopus or squid. I was told that it was neither but it was a creature similar to an octopus or squid. I can't remember the Korean name for this beast.

No comments: