Monday, March 14, 2011

Name That Tune

I teach younger students, so we do many songs with them. Our songs for our youngest students are only four lines but some of the other songs are two or three minutes long. The songs for the youngest students also have one or two target sounds such as /o/ or -ace. Some of our songs I've taught so many times that I have them memorized. One time, late at night I was walking outside and I was singing one of the songs. A middle-aged man was on a bicycle and heard me singing the song. He turned around a looked at me, probably because I was singing a ridiculous song. To most native speakers, the majority of the songs are quite stupid, but some of the students really like them. I had one group of students that always wanted to sing the Melinda song, which is about a model who is very beautiful on the outside but ugly on the inside. They even wanted to sing it after they were in a level that didn't do any singing. There was another song about a boy looking for his stolen cookies. I had a student named Andy who really liked the song. It had a banjo and a harmonica in it. When he heard the song, he called it a "cowboy song." He pretended to wave around a lasso. It was really quite cute. I think one day I'll be an old lady in a nursing home who just sits and sings these songs.

No comments: