Sunday, December 14, 2008

I can type in 한글

I bought a new computer today. I just got the Internet hooked up in my apartment. My other computer had to be formatted for it to work so before I took it to the place, I took all of the work that I did in college and put it all on a flash drive (or a little cigar, as Dad calls them). Nothing that I had on it before was on it anymore. In addition, the mouse was not working the way that it was before. I could live with that, but then, for some reason, I decided to put a password on the computer. I don't know why I did it because I'm the only person who uses it. Well, when I got the computer back, the default setting for the language bar was Portugues. I got annoyed with it switching from English, so I deleted Portugues from the language bar, but before I did that, I put the password on the computer. I'm sure that it was on Portugues when I did it, because later, when I tried to turn on my computer, I typed the password, and it would not work. I decided to cut my losses on that computer, which was 40,000 won to have it formatted, and just buy a new one. The computer is four years old, which is old for a computer. Luckily, I live in South Korea, which is home to LG and 삼성 (Samsung), so finding one would not be a problem. The ones in the stores seemed a bit expensive though. The cheapest ones that they had were very small, but there was no way to put CDs or DVDs in them. I bought a computer at the third place I went. I did not want to buy one at the first place I went because I wanted to look somewhere else. At the second place I went I felt very uncomfortable because the salesman was following me around everywhere I went. It was pretty obvious that he was working on commission. The third place I went, Hi-Mart, was where I bought my new computer. I was free to look at the computers without somebody breathing down my neck. I found one that I wanted. It cost 970,000 won. I told the salesman that I wanted that one and he asked me why and that it was a bad model. In addition, I would have to pay with cash. He talked me into buying a different one that cost about the same. The only thing that was better about that first computer was that it had Windows Vista Premium and this one has Windows Vista Basic. Everything else on the one that I bought was either the same or better. The salesman told me that the computer had the Korean version of Windows. I told him that was fine. I figured that it would; the computer that I use at work is the Korean version and everythink is in Korean. The computer was set up for use at the store and I was able to have the language on this computer put in English instead of Korean. I got a Samsung bag and Samsung mouse as free gifts for buying the computer. The language bar is normally set for United States English, so the keyboard is just like any keyboard from the United States. If I want to type in 한글 (Hangeul), I can just change the language bar to Korean and start typing the way that Koreans type (actually, I have to do the hunt-and-peck method of typing when I type in Korean). When the language bar is set to Korean, there is a button that I can push to go back and forth between Korean letters and Roman letters. There were probably things that I could delete on that other computer, but did not because I might have wanted it later. Now that everything was deleted for me, I really do not miss it much. Sometimes, that's the only way that you can get rid of something.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Theeeeerre she is ... I was beginning to wonder where you had gone off to. Nothing like computer glitches to slow up blogging, emails, etc.!!

AnnG said...

Don't you just hate having to switch computers?! Four years is about as long as I keep a computer too, but I sure hate going through the hassle of the switch. And sometimes, as you found, dealing with the salespeople is a hassle too. Glad you're back online.